History-Onyx 13

       Hello fellow Internet surfer and welcome to a gem of a site dedicated to illuminating the onyx-like parallels unearthed from an otherwise beclouded and boring American and world historical perspective into its many hues and flavors, a spectrum inclusive of most light that makes up the untold stories, fascinating stories and journeys not quite attached or put together in this theatrical or holistic manner as you will find!
        We bring many years of personal and unique historical research, reading, collaboration, living, and writing  experiences. One of us is a published historian, journalist, and genealogist, whose roots are in the Central Oregon Coast, the primary though not exclusive gathering or focal point of these stories. And her co-author is more centered, though not exclusively so on the personal-spiritual journey as a former Lutheran minister, and how this has come into play to reinvigorate her own philosophical historical understanding of faith and her questions of the world-church  professional Christian training, vision and cultural paradigms, relying upon her common sense and also the expertise and critique of those historically disinherited, disenfranchised, and despised.
     Neither of us is professionally enamored by historicism in the classical sense, or any particular intellectual chains, other than the challenge to loosen the usual grip of white western european, heterosexist and masculinist elitism! And yes, we believe in being politically correct, and are proud of it, that we still name the names! We are students and practitioners of folk and established history, and are expanding our understanding of story, wishing to share some of those exciting findings and perspectives. We plan to update this site regularly with the little known gems and connections to "the rest of the story" usually relegated to footnotes we have uncovered from the current draft of our mammoth, interconnected, well documented history saga, Sovereigns of Themselves: A Liberating History of Oregon and Its Coast. We would welcome and appreciate hearing from you, comments, questions, suggestions, corrections, or other resources and we hope that you'll stick around long enough to get to know just a little bit more about what these two cyber-historians have to offer.

--Rev. Marilyn A. Riedel & M. Constance Guardino III

Maracon Challenges You To Believe It Or Not!

The Legend Of Israel Eddy
Eddyville Community Eddyville Postmaster Tillie Kraft Eddy Cemetery

      Israel Fisk Eddy (1824-1911) was born on Valentine's Day in Clarendon, Rutland County, Vermont. According to Lincoln County lore, he was an enormous man. He stood six feet, seven inches tall, and was said to be very powerful. He probably weighed well over 250 pounds, and had to stoop and enter an ordinary doorway sideways.
     Most of the legends about Israel Eddy had to do with his tremendous strength. One old timer said he saw Israel take the axle of the wheel of a loaded hay wagon and lift it out of the mud so the horses could pull it out of a mudhole. He said he was a tiny boy at the time, and was overwhelmed by Mr. Eddy's strength.
     Another tale says that Israel could put a heavy steel spike---similar to the ones used in making bridges--between his fingers, slam down on it, and the spike would bend to their shape.


Photographer Julie Hendricks with son Evan and friend
Ellsworth Conrow "Timber" Lillard Senior (1910-1990),
who was 6 feet 8 inches tall and weighed 240 pounds
1980 Photo Courtesy of Julie Hendricks

See "Shoot Out At Harlan" For Lillard Family History

     Israel Eddy settled in what is now the town of Eddyville, in 1870. He was 46 years old. At the time, the area was known as Little Elk.
     His first wife, who he married back in Vermont, died after he had raised a family. He married the former wife of Felix Aikey (1825-1873), Marie Phelonise Manuel (1842-1916) on October 21, 1876 in Le Sueur, Minnesota. The Eddys had a son named Perry and a daughter named Eva May (1862-1875) who was a young teen when they came West to what is now known as Lincoln County. She died December 27 at the age of 13 years and seven months. The marriage between Marie and Israel ended in divorce.
     Israel Eddy left his land and everything dear to him in Minnesota and came out West to join his father, Ezekiel Isaac Eddy (1800-1890) who was already here with his wife, Lucy Fisk (1805-1878).
     Ezekiel had crossed the plains at least twice in his life time. He was a considerably old man to be making such a move. He brought his grown children with him.
     The old man was a true son of the Revolution, because his father, James Eddy, fought in the Revolutionary War.
     Israel bought land in Little Elk from a young bride and groom. Legend has it that he and his father rode to Corvallis and came back with a mule or two loaded down with silver money to pay for the land.
     They built the sawmill and the grist mill on this land, and used a small dam on the Yaquina River to supply the power. The heavy stones used to grind the grain were shipped from England, and were carried from Siletz Bay to Eddy's grist mill by a Native American woman!


"Oregon Barns" Courtesy Of Julie Hendricks

     Israel's reason for putting a grist mill in the middle of tall timber was a puzzle to people, but he was convinced that the railroad was coming through to connect Central Oregon--which people then believed would become the grain capital of the world--with the Pacific coast. The prediction was that Newport would become an enormous port, and the grain from Eastern and Central Oregon would be shipped from there.
     These plans ever materialized, however, and Israel ended up grinding flour for local use instead of foreign trade.
     The railroad, it is thought, could have been instrumental in changing Little Elk to Eddyville. Israel owned a lot of land in the Little Elk area when Colonel T. Egerton Hogg was putting his railroad through to the Oregon coast. When Eddy gave the railroad right-of-way privileges through his land, it was under the consideration that they would name the area Eddyville.
     But there were other more powerful interests that didn't want to see Newport become an enormous port with all the grain from Eastern and Central Oregon being shipped through it.
     Although it is unofficial, some people speculate that there was sabotage beyond belief on this railroad. Tunnels were set on fire, bridges were undercut or burned, and every underhanded deed was done to try and keep this railroad from succeeding. It went bankrupt time and time again.  Wallis Nash poured millions of dollars into it. But Portland interests bought up a great deal of land around Yaquina Bay, so that docks couldn't be built. Considerable land in Lincoln County is still owned by some of these old estates. There were people who were determined that Portland was going to be the big port; and they didn't want Newport developed at any cost.
     The Eddyville post office seems to have had more than the usual number of moves. It was established as Little Elk on July 14, 1868, with John L. Shipley first postmaster. It was first called Little Elk, because it was near the mouth of Little Elk Creek. That office was discontinued September 16, 1872, and re-established October 20, 1873  (Oregon Post Offices 1847-1982, p. 60)
    On March 13, 1888, Israel Eddy, who was postmaster at the time, moved the office about a mile west and had the name changed to Eddyville. Some four years later the office was brought back to its original location, and the name changed to Little Elk. About 1893 it was moved again to Eddy's place and was continued under the name of Eddyville until 1900 when it was moved back to the mouth of Little Elk Creek, but this time the name was not changed and the office still goes by the name Eddyville. (Oregon Post Offices 1847-1982, p. 34)
     On October 7, 1893, the year Lincoln County was established from a portion of Benton County, the post office was again moved to Eddy Creek, a mile west of where Eddyville is now located on the Yaquina River, and about eight miles east of Toledo. It remained there under the name Eddyville until 1900 when it was again moved back to the mouth of Little Elk Creek. However, this time, the name remained Eddyville. (Oregon Geographic Names, 1992, p. 280)

     Israel Eddy was fond of trees and had a fine orchard in Eddyville. People from around Siletz and Kernville would come over and help out with the apple harvest. This was something they looked forward to in the fall, because they had a good time, particularly the children.
     In the Evenings, they would build campfires and Israel would entertain them with an organ grinder, at which he was reputed to be quite talented. That was a big treat for everyone--especially the youngsters--in days of limited entertainment.
     Besides his other enterprises, Israel owned a grocery store. Above the store was a big room he divided off with curtains into a sleeping room for people traveling through. The room was also used for dances he threw on Saturday nights.
     Dances in those days were very important sources of entertainment. People would come from miles around on horseback or in wagons. They would bring along their children and put them to bed in the back of their wagons and prepared to spend the night. The dancers and their families would have breakfast the following morning.
     Liquor was brought to the dances. Inevitably there would be a fight, and Israel took it upon himself to break them up. He would take the offenders by the back of their necks and pull them apart. Then he would escort them outside and dump them in a watering trough.


(1) Deer Creek Bridge (2) Chitwood Store & Bridge (3) Hill Top Bridge

     Israel Eddy loved to travel. From one trip he took on horseback to California, he brought back several redwood trees. One redwood stands today on former Eddy land. It is located on the north edge of Highway 20 on the straight stretch in the road just west of Eddyville. The redwoods around Chitwood might possibly have been planted there by him.
     Israel's son, Perry, married Mary Amanda Frantz. She was the daughter of Civil War captain, Samuel Frantz, and his wife, Mary. They came across the plains in 1850 and bought Fort Hoskins directly from the government.
     Perry and Mary Amanda had a family of five children. They were all born in Kings Valley or Hoskins, right where the Kings Valley-Hoskins road comes together. That is where the Eddy place is located.

John Hamar And Norman Edwards Settle Nashville

     The Edwards and the Hamars were kin to the Eddys. John Hamar, the first non-indian man to settle at the headwaters of the Yaquina River at Nashville, was a native scout who came to Oregon in the 1850s or 1860s to Fort Hoskins. He slashed a trail from Summit to Nashville. He applied for a homestead and was granted a square mile of land. His sister, Sarah Hamar Miller, was widowed after the Civil War. Some of her older children were already married. She had younger children;, and it was terribly hard for widows to raise families in those days. There just wasn't work that women could do to earn a living. So she came West to located on the land at Nashville.
     Then Norman Edwards decided that he would like to come out West. He left his wife and children in Kansas and came to Oregon for a visit. When he saw this area, he decided this was the place for him. He had a big wheat farm and pure bred stock and a lovely big stone house back in Kansas. Edwards offered to move his family to a ranch on the Yaquina in East Lincoln County where they would literally starve to death. Anyone who has lived long in this area knows that no farmer could make it without other work. But Norman Edwards left fairly well to do circumstances and came here to scrape out a living on a stump ranch. In this fresh air, it was the first time in his life he could breathe freely. For this reason, it was worth everything to him to leave what he had to come out here and live in a place where he wanted to be. He loved his ranch and he loved the land.
     The Indians must have felt much the same about this area. They had a permanent camp on the Edwards place, members of the family recall. The stones of a sweathouse were all there. The Indians only built permanent sweathouses at permanent sites.
     Emma Edwards Eddy recalled Israel coming to her wedding at Nortons in November 1908. He wore a coonskin cap on his head. The old man had a booming voice and carried an ear trumpet, as he was hard of hearing in later years.
     He had just recovered from a slight case of ague, a disease similar to malaria, before his wedding, but he joked about it saying he had taken a big swig of piano polish--mistaking it for his medicine--which cured him!
     Israel Fisk Eddy died at the age of 87 years, following a bout with pneumonia, which, legend has it, was brought on when he walked from Eddyville to Toledo to pay his taxes. (Lords Of Themselves: A History Of Eastern Lincoln County, Oregon 1978, pp. 108-113)

Shoot Out At Harlan

     At the time of the 1870 Benton County Census, Harlan settler Morgan Lillard (1828-1891) and his wife, Nancy E. Mulkey (1834-1877), had eight children living at home: Minerva (1856); Thomas J. (1859-1877); Charles (1861), the father of Ellsworth "Timber" Lillard (pictured above);  Farlow (1863); Abraham Lincoln (1865); Margaret (1866-1939), who married Charles Allen and is buried in Toledo; and William (1870); who was an infant at the time the census was taken. An older daughter, Jane F. Lillard, was married to Robert Lew Feagles, who murdered her father in 1891.
     Morgan Lillard, who was born in North Carolina, is most remembered as the victim of that fatal bullet wound inflicted by his son-in-law, the details of which were given in the June 1980 issue of the Corvallis Gazette-Times. Lillard had long held a grudge against Feagles, who was, according to Harlan rancher Leonard Grant, "a German fellow who homesteaded the place known as Feagles Creek." One of the first three settlers in the area, Feagles
moved from Missouri to Harlan in 1872.
     In her 1985 book, On The Yaquina and Big Elk, Evelyn Payne Parry wrote, "Lillard had threatened his son-in-law and was said to have started the shooting. Feagles was building a fence on the roadside near the line between their places. That would have been in front of the Harlan Community Hall."
     Leonard Grant recalled that he was "pretty little when Lillard got killed, but my sister Laura witnessed the gun fight. He was killed right where the old store stands now." Grant remembered that "Lillard couldn't get along with anybody, and there was a feud going on. He always carried an old .45 shooter."
     Parry said that Lillard's granddaughter, the late Ida Miller Smouse, said the trouble began when the two families had scarlet fever. During November and December of 1877, Lillard's wife, Nancy, their son Thomas and another young son, possibly William, died and were buried on a hillside above Charley Mulkey's large cedar barn.
     The oldest of four children, John H. Feagles (1873-1963) was about four years old at the time the epidemic swept the area. His brother died, and he and his sister were dangerously ill. In 1958, Feagles told a Ruralite reporter, "The doctor said the [other] children would have died had they arrived for help for help two and a half hours later."
     The question arose as to how they could use a wagon on those hills. Feagles remembered, "There weren't any roads at all in the area when the first three families packed in to Harlan from Burnt Woods by horse." Evelyn Parry added, "There were no bridges. Riding horses would have been a serious undertaking."
     But Leonard Grant insisted the problems between them were more complicated and longstanding. "For whatever
reason," Grant told the authors of Lords of Themselves, "Lillard got it in for his son-in-law. Every time he saw him he'd beat him and he'd pull that gun out and abuse him. he'd call him all the dirty names he could think of. Finally, his son-in-law told him, 'Morgan, if you ever pull that gun on me again, I'll kill you."
     "At the time," Grant reflected, "Robert Feagles didn't even own a gun. He got on his horse and rode on over to Corvallis and bought himself a six-shooter. he was prepared for the worst. The next time Lillard pulled a gun on him," Grant said, "Feagles killed him!"
     "I heard my dad say he'd seen Morgan Lillard shoot chickens' heads off," Grant told the authors. "He filed the trigger off of the six-shooter and 'thumbed' the hammer. Then he'd pull the hammer back with his thumb and shoot. He shot six shots at his son-in-law and never touched him. That shows how much nerve he had."
     "Feagles didn't kill him dead on the spot," Grant recalled. "Lillard walked home. When he got home he told his folks that he didn't think the son-of-a-bitch had the nerve to shoot. So when he pulled that six-shooter on Feagles, he was badly mistaken. Feagles got on his horse and rode to Corvallis and told the sheriff what he had done, and they didn't even arrest him."
     Apparently this unfortunate incident from the dusty annals of Lincoln County lore was soon put away, as an 1893 issue of the Lincoln County Leader reported that "Ellsworth Lillard is building a boat," and elsewhere "there will be a dance at Elk City Hotel Friday night under the supervision of Lillard Brothers. Music will be provided by F. O. Mays and Commodore P. Bevens." (M. Constance Guardino III, Lords of Themselves: A History of Eastern Lincoln County, Oregon, Delcon Corporation 1977), 127, 128; Evelyn Payne Parry, On the Yaquina and Big Elk, Lincoln County Historical Society Press 1985, 29)

Salem Public Library Archives
Fort Hoskins 1946 [6130] Hamar Monument Nashville 1966 [8851]
Wallis Nash (Oregon State Historical Society)

Emperor Wilhelm's Tragic Mistake

     Eddyville was quite a town during Eddy's lifetime. In fact, it almost became a big land development before World War I.
     But for the unwise act of Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany, the population and economic, social and religious life of Lincoln County and western Benton County might be quite different, according to Henry W. Fish, son of Leon H. Fish, long-time Albany realtor who some 75 years about bought up a lot of land in the area around Eddyville and towards Nortons, and envisioned the settling Benton and Lincoln counties by European families.
     Early in Oregon history, Fish wrote, the government wanted a military road connecting Corvallis and Yaquina Bay, and made a grant of land to encourage and help finance its construction. This grant consisted of the odd-numbered sections of land to a depth of 12 miles along the road route, sizable incentive, it would seem. The route of the old wagon road can be visualized today, as it approximated the course taken later by the Corvallis & Eastern Railroad.
     Eventually, large blocks of the grant lands fell into the hands of early-day speculators, substantial ownership even being in London, England.
     A young man in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Leon H. Fish, got the idea that the time was ripe to break up some of these holdings and sell them to small ranchers.
     He envisioned large acreages being sold to active new investors in Oregon's future. He organized a company of eastern men, which purchased 72,000 acres of the former grant lands for resale. In 1806 he moved his family to Oregon and made Albany his headquarters.
     Fish, the sparkplug of the new company, had the exclusive sale of his associates; 72,000 acres. He drew no salary and enjoyed no expense account. He operated solely on commission, with an implied warranty that unless he came up with some effective selling ideas, and put in incredibly long, hard days, his family would not do much fancy eating. Those were the times of the rugged individual, before guaranteed security became a way of life!
     The record shows that this young man from Iowa had the stuff. His business prospered and his family ate well. Almost single-handedly he sold off the entire 72,000 acres, wearing out several pairs of stout logger boots tramping up and down hills through fallen timber, brush, fern, rain and snow to show the lands to prospective buyers. As his activities expanded, he took a partner, Dr. Andrew J. Hodges of Albany. The pioneer real estate firm of Fish & Hodges operated successfully throughout Oregon for a quarter of a century.
     Now, with this background established, let's get back to our opening story.
     Meanwhile, in crowded Europe, generations of hardy farmers and ranchers had wrestled a modest living from their hilly, rugged homelands. They longed for good, new soil from and a better future for their families. America offered a good future to all who would go after it. And Western Benton County had the good, new soil in abundance that would be really homelike to these Europeans.
     Leon Fish, that bold young man from Iowa, had the large-scale intimate knowledge of these lands, and the actual experience of buying and selling them in huge quantities.


(1) The Two Bit Ranch Near Chitwood (2) Ernest W. Smith Park At Butte Creek
Photographs Courtesy Of Julie Hendricks

     The firm of Fish & Hodges, as well as certain members of the Catholic church representing thousands of Austrian, German, Greek, Romanian and Swiss members of that faith who were potential immigrants and colonists, saw an opportunity and tried to seize it. The two interests joined forces and soon an amazing colonization plan was in the offing.
     The plan was no small-time undertaking, and involved a lot of land, people and money. To accommodate the proposed colony, Fish & Hodges rounded up 100,000 acres of land in Lincoln County and Western Benton County, part of which was from the Corvallis-Yaquina Bay Wagon Road grant.
     Eddyville appeared to be a practical center for the colony, and as such its manifold growth was foreseen.
     The colonization plan shaped up rapidly. Group leaders in the movement inspected the lands and found them good. Over 1,000 people already had reached America and were ready to form the colony with their countrymen when these later arrived from the homelands. Finally, a group of organizers started to Europe to sign up the colonists and get them on their way to Lincoln and Benton counties.
     Then came Emperor Wilhelm's tragic mistake: He started World War I. Men in Europe, who might have become neighbors and warm friends in America, put on uniforms and died. With them died the almost colonization of Lincoln and Benton counties.
     Fish challenges us to try and imagine today--nearly half a century later--an organized community of thousands of former Europeans and their descendants, now prosperous farmers, ranchers, business men and women, teachers, teachers public officials, etc., all strongly influenced by Old World culture and the doctrine of hard work, all united in one religious faith. Envision Eddyville as a greatly enlarged, prosperous town, perhaps a rival to Toledo and Newport. All of this might have been had it not been for a war that changed the course of history.
     Lincoln County has strong ties to this pioneer real estate broker. His father, Liberal C. Fish, once ranched near Nortons. The youngest brother, Everett L. Fish, ranched for several years near Nashville. (Lords Of Themselves: A History ofEastern Lincoln County, Oregon 1978, pp. 113-115)

Eddy Cemetery

     The Eddy Cemetery is located west of Eddyville, Oregon. It is a beautiful neglected spot on the Yaquina River bank. Two acres of land were donated by Ezekiel Eddy for the purpose of a cemetery. There were reportedly 13 graves at the site, but now only 10 stones can be found. The Eddy family memorial stone is located in the cemetery on the original Eddy farm.
     According to the late Evelyn Parry, Rachel Ann Henkle and John L. Shipley first owned this place. Shipley became postmaster and collected toll charges on the Yaquina Bay Wagon Road. The Shipleys sold the site to Eddy around 1872. He changed the name of the post office from Little Elk to Eddyville. (At Rest In Lincoln County, 1979, p. 10)

     Baber, Ann (c1814-1880) wf of Ensley H; mo of adopted dau Minnie & sn Chas McVay; Baber, Ensley H (1828-1879) hs of Ann; Baber Mountain named for him; Eddy, Eva May (c1862-1875); dau of Marie Phelonise Manuel & Israel; granddau of Lucy Fisk & Ezekiel; Eddy, Ezekiel Isaac (c1800-1890) VT) sn of Jas; hs of Lucy Fisk; fr of Israel; grandfr of Eva May; Eddy, Israel Fisk (1824-1911); sn of Lucy Fisk and Ezekiel; hs of Marie Phelonise Manuel; fr of Eva May; Eddy, Lucy Fisk (c1805-1978 VT) wf of Ezekiel; Gibson, Sam J B (c1881-1884) sn of H T & M A; Hunt, rev Isaac C (1801-1884 VT) died at the age of 83 years, 9 months, 2 days; great grandfr of Florence Hunt; Grandma Hunt stayed in Iowa! Hunt, Levi W Sr (1825-1904) died at the age of 79; hs of Mary P Kenion; fr of Aaron B (1861-1922 IA; bur Little Elk Cemetery) & Marion (1865-1932 OR; bur Little Elk Cemetery) grandfr of Florence Hunt; Hunt, Mary P Kenion (1828-1891 OH) died at the age of 63 years, 11 months, 19 days; wf of Levi W Sr. Mary's brother is buried on Earl Welton's place where a young orchard stands. Many years ago, he overextended himself running on the hill. (Lords Of Themselves: A History Of East ern Lincoln County, Oregon 1978, pp. 115, 116)

Little Elk Cemetery

     Little Elk Cemetery is located a short distance east of Eddyville store on the right side of Highway 20 uphill through the gate. On December 29, 1905, Margaret Barnes and heirs deeded the directors of the Eddyville Cemetery Association land for Little Elk Cemetery. E. E. Chitwood, the grandson of Milton Jackson Allphin, stated it was M. J. Allphin who donated land for the original cemetery, which is located on land owned by his family. (At Rest In Lincoln County, 1979, p. 11)

      Allphin, Milton Jackson (1828-1911); Anderson, David (1840-1904); Armentrout, J (?-?) Co H 1? IN Inf; Atkinson, Roy W (1909-1973); Atkinson, Vivian (1908-?); Backman, Ann Wendell (1859-1948); Barnard, -- (?-?);  Barnes, Margaret A Smith (1819-1909 PA) dau of Martha Jones & Jas; Barnes, Rbt M (1857-1927); Barnes, Sarah J (1846-1913); Barnett, Harry Dale Jr (1927-1972); Barton, Howard E (1903-1925 Nortons); Booth, Tressie (81 yrs) bur Crystal Lake Cemetery, Corvallis; Bristlin, Andrew (1865-1934) sn of Katherine Butler & Geo B; Burch, -- (?-?); Clawson, Eldridge (1887-1966); Clawson, Eunice Irene (1921-1971); Clawson, Nora May (1886-1959); Clawson, Wilbur J (1918-?); Cline, Ina May (1902-1957); Cordell, Eliza R (1867-1915); Crocker, Geo W (?-?);Crum, Oliver (?-1919); Damon, Fanny A (1851-1926); Damon, G R (1858-1934); Derrick, Melissa J (1839-1922); Derrick, Rose A (1868-1895); Derrick, Zachariah M "Jim" (1832-1922); Drummond, Nathan (1832-1906 OH) moved to IL 1843; pvt Civil War; to Oregon 1888; Eagleson, Chas W (1886-1929); Eagleson, Rbt (1914-1933); Eagleson, Rbt Wm (1947-1968) OR Corp Co D 12 Inf Div Vietnam War (1950-1975); Edwards, Carl D (1892-1973) pvt WWI; Edwards, Catherine Hall (1891-1966); Estep, Albert Baylor (1877-1944); Ferris, Beulah M (1910-1969) WAC WWII; Ferris, Edw Chas (c1907-1975) died car accident; French, Elva Mae (1906-1971); Goodman, Wm Thms (?-1930); Hanson, -- (?-1960 female); Hanson, Anna Marie (1845-1930); Hanson, Karl (c1889-1960); Hawkins, Brown (1820-1908); Hawkins, Juliet (?-1893); Hawkins, Mahlon (?-1890); Heverling, Henry (1845-1925 Nortons) pvt Civil War; Hunt, Aaron B (1861-1922 IA) sn of Mary P Kenion (1828-? OH) & Levi W Hunt Sr (1825-1904 OH); hs of Jane Elizabeth Sutton; fr of Levi Hunt Jr; Hunt, Elizabeth (1899-1943); Hunt, Florence (1904-?) dau of Jane Elizabeth Sutton & Aaron B; Hunt, Jane Elizabeth Sutton (1870-1935) wf of Aaron B; mo of Levi W Jr; Hunt, Levi W Jr (1897-1972); sn of Jane Elizabeth & Aaron B; Hunt, Marion B (1865-1932 OR) sn of Mary P Kenison (1828-? OH) & Levi W Sr (1825-1904 OH); Hyde, Baby (?-?); Jacobson, Carl Leslie (1919-2000); bur Phoenix, AZ) sn of Mable Edna Cook & John E; veteran WWII; Jacobson, John E (1890-1960) hs of Mable; fr of Carl Leslie; Jacobson, Mable Edna Cook (1893-1953); wf of John E; mo of Carl Leslie; Jenkins, Mono (1870-1960); Jenkins, Nellie (1877-1958); Jenkins, Raymond (?-?); Johnson, Carl (c1889-1944); Johnson, John Geo (?-1938); Johnson, Lars C (?-?); Johnson, Thrine (1860-1916); Jones, Carrie (1892-1938); Kellogg, Reuben John (1906-1971); Kinney, Vance Bradley (1968-1974); Kruger, Bruce P (1951-1970; Luckey, L A S (1834-1900); Lutz, Chas (1863-1936 PA); sn of John Hurley; Manual, -- (?-1960 female); McBride, Baby (?-?); child of Emma A Allphin & Clarendon C; McBride, Clarendon C (1861-1929) hs of Emma A Allphin; McBride, Emma A Allphin (1862-1952) wf of Clarendon C; McGee, Adeline E (1831-1913); Mitchell, Helen Vernita (1902-1965); Mitchell, John L (1896-1974) Pfc US Army; Moss, Baby (?-?) child of Theodora Isabelle?; Moss, Theodora Isabelle (1892-1938 KY); Munger, Baby (?-1908); Olson, Chas J (c1905-1955) sn of Chas John Olson bur Harlan?; Parks, Jos H (1879-1963); Parks, Margaret Jane McDougal (1886-1937); Parks, Walter Nelson (1894-1972); Patterson, Wm W (?-1946); Peterson, John Eric (1860-1929); Pruitt, -- (1856-1933); Pyette, Minnie Ethel (1889-1966); Rankin, Jos L (1906-1970); Rankin, Rose E (1907-1972); Richter, Verna L Parks (1892-1963); Robbins, Baby (?-?) child of Mary E Wakefield & LeRoy Finley?; Robbins, LeRoy Finley (1883-1949); hs of Mary E Wakefield; Robbins, Mary E "Mamie" Wakefield (1882-1938) dau of Wm Wakefield;  wf of LeRoy Finley; Roberge, D Jos (1954-1971); Ruphrect, Emil (1879-1961); Searles, Willard (c1933-1977); Smouse, Lesley M (1949-1949); Smouse, Lester (1895-1978); Smouse, Martin A (1867-1938); Smouse, Mary Etta (1872-1973); Sparks, Arthur (1885-1933); Sparks, Helen B (1862-1941); Sparks, Jas Clay (1855-1914 OH); Stafford, Lawrence (1917-1958); Stager, Virginia W (1874-1955); Swanner, Alice Eagleson Sawyer (1891-1966); Swanner, Franklin D (1904-1944); Van Orden, Chas Wm "Bill" (1919-1978); Wagner, Fred (?-1898); Wakefield, Clifford H (1892-1947); Wakefield, Lois Loudon (?-?); Wakefield, Louisa (1855-1949); Wakefield, Mable Jane Robertson (1912-1998 OR) dau of Kate Blower and Johnny Robertson; wf of Rex W Wakefield; mo of Betty Wakefield Liska & Nancy K Hiatt; Wakefield, Nancy "Belle" Warnock? (1884-1970) dau of Dick Warnock; Wakefield, Rex W (?-1994); hs of Mable Jane Robertson; Wakefield, Wm R (1834-1912) 16th Inf Regt CN Vol Civil War; Watkins, Roy W (c1909-1973); Wehnert, Adolph (1866-1932); Wehnert, Amanda (1876-1950); Weltin, Thms Earl (1897-1965) pvt OR Btry F 27 Arty Cavalry WWI; Weltin, Melissa E Luckey (1857-1946) dau of L A S Luckey?; Weltin, Moran E (1847-1926); Weltin, Myrtle Willis (?-?);Wilcox, -- (?-?); Willoughby, Albert A (1883-1959); Willoughby, Cora Walrath (1873-1938) wf of Warren; Willoughby, Geo H (1877-1954); Willoughby, Grace (1876-1944); Willoughby, Harold O (1915-1976) pvt US Army WWII; Willoughby, Leonard "Lee" (?-1954); Willoughby, Mary Ann (1960-1964); Willoughby, Susan V (1893-1945); Willoughby, Walter Warren (1882-1951); Wilson, -- (?-1895); Wilson, Wm (?-1894); Woody, Jonathan (1857-1927) hu of Symantha.

Mays-Strouts Cemetery

     Mays-Strouts Cemetery is located on the Nashville side of Summit, less than a mile from the Summit Store.
Traveling toward Nashville from Summit the road makes a sharp left turn under the railroad underpass.
One-tenth mile from the underpass and on the right, there is a metal farm gate across the entrance of a narrow graveled road, which angles uphill to the cemetery. (At Rest In Lincoln County 1979, p. 151)

    Coulter, J P (1838-1908 Ireland); Davis, Earl R (1884-1953) MMI US NRF WWI; Davis, Jas O (1866-1932); Davis, Saml (1842-1923 England); Eddy, Emma Edwards (?-1955) wf of Saml; Eddy, Saml Leland (1886-1973); hs of Emma Edwards; Edwards, Arthur June (?-?) sn of Mildred Lister & June; Edwards, Baby (?-?) dau of Mildred Lister & June; Edwards, Malinda Florence (1859-1941); wf of Norman Franklin; Edwards, Norman Franklin (1852-1916); hs of Malinda Florence; Godwin, Clarinda C (1837-1904) wf of F A; Hamar, Baby I (?-?) infant of Martha & John; Hamar, Baby II (infant of Martha & John); Hamar, Chas Otis (1887-1962); Hamar, David (1849-1912 IN);  Hamar, Effie (1898-?); Hamar, Everett S (1853-1890 IN); Hamar, Henry J (1877-1905) sn of John; Hamar, Jas (1822-1897) hs of Sarah; pioneer of 1862; Hamar, Mary (1861-1911); Hamar, Martie Wakefield (1884-1912); Hamar, Matilda J Owen (1863-1949); Hamar, Roy (1880-1945); Hamar, Sarah E (1822-1895) wf of Jas; Hamar, Sarah B (1901-1920); Mays, Edna Margaret (1862-1872 OR) dau of Sarah E & Chas B; sis of Ida M (1864-?), Grant B (1866-?), Noah M (1868-?) & Troy M (1870-); Mays, Grant B (1874-1882) sn of Sarah E & Chas B; Moore, Rbt G (1844-1935); Strouts, Edw D (1879-1968); hs of Ruth; Strouts, Strouts, Edw F (1851-1912) hs of Martha C; Strouts, Martha C (1861-1930) wf of Edw F; Strouts, Ruth (1881-1918); wf of Edw D; Strouts, Wm L (?-1920); Vance, Malinda (1830-1889); Wilson, Geo Homer (1882-?).

M. Constance Guardino III  Reverend Marilyn A. Riedel
This Page Last Updated by Maracon on December 1, 2005

History-Onyx Hot Links!

Wild Women West Western Warrior Women Indian Shaker Religion

Black Pioneers Settle Oregon Coast Maxwell's Quaint Elk City

Yaquina Bay Oyster Wars Before the Oregon Trail Wolf Creek Sanctuary

Umpqua Valley Photo Works Thomason Tribal Cemetery Eddyville

Siletz Tribal Burials Rogue River Communities Cascade Splendor

Murder On The Gold Special Golden Campbellites Tyee View Cemetery

Hermeneutics of Homosexuality Peopling the Americas Applegate Cemetery

Eureka Cemetery Toleldo Cemetery Chitwood Cemeteries

Benton County Place Names Lincoln County Place Names

1870 Benton County Oregon Census A-I J-R S-Z

1870 Polk County Oregon Census A-M N-Z Polk County Place Names

Oregon History Online: Introduction I Introduction II
Oregon History Online: Volume I Oregon History Online: Volume II

Oregon History Online III Oregon History Online: Volume IV

Oregon History Outline V

Oregon History Online VI Oregon History Online VII
 

Oregon History Online VIII Oregon History Online IX

 Oregon History Online X 

MARACON PRODUCTIONS Interweave Guardino Family History


WebweaveR
maracon@wi.net


Get a GoStats hit counter